|Wednesday September 21st is Fire Prevention Day at SCS - time to stop, drop and roll again!|
As the summer winds down, fall brings many changes and one of those is that school is now back in session. With that, our responsibilities change and as vehicle operators we need to take an extra moment and make sure we are;
- Watching out for the children walking or riding bikes to school.
- Watching out for the children waiting for the bus.
- Stop for school buses flashing their lights – look out for kids whose focus is on the bus, not you.
- Make sure you are following the crossing guard’s directions – they are there to protect the children making their way to school and back home again at the end of the day.
- Please don’t park in the circle at SCS. If you need to leave your vehicle, even “for a minute”, please park over at Davis Park and escort your child over to the building to take those items over for them that they need in the classroom. It is VERY important that room be left for emergency vehicle access to the building.
- Don’t wait on the railroad tracks on Harbor Road (I see this almost daily). Wait to cross if traffic is backed up and remember to leave room for the gate when it drops so it doesn’t hit your vehicle, stay behind the painted line on the road. Look at the arm, are you leaving room enough for it to drop so it doesn’t hit your car?
Thanking you for helping us keep our town safe, and remember…..
Fire Prevention/Safety isn’t just one week of the year, but all 52!
Jim Buell, 2nd Assistant Chief Shelburne Fire Department